One goal I have each week is to try a new recipe and yes, I use my family as guinea pigs. Sometimes they mind, but thankfully most of the time they don’t, especially when it is dessert. The way I discover new recipes is through blogs I follow, Pinterest, or an attempt to recreate something I recently had in a restaurant. This week I tried two new breakfast items. One not so amazing and the other, my husband commented at least three times how much he enjoyed them. (Hint: Please, make these again.)
The first was a Frittata using butternut squash, spinach and bacon. I love butternut squash and its natural sweetness and therefore, thought this dish would be a winner. However, it was not all that I thought it would be. The inconsistency of the texture of the squash was a bummer and no cheese should have been a red flag from the get go. LOL. I did add seasonings, which were not listed in the recipe, but still not the best frittata I’ve tasted.
- Would I make this again? Maybe
- Flavor on a scale from one to ten (ten being exceptional!) 5
- What would I do different? I would cook down the spinach first, roast the squash and then add goat cheese. I think cooking the veggies first, would add a depth of flavor.
The second breakfast item was paleo Honey Vanilla Scones. These were extremely simple and minimal items needed to create. I did add a little more vanilla to the recipe to ensure this flavor was the star. The smell of them baking was divine! They were a crumbly scone-like texture. We drizzled some honey over them and ate them with eggs and bison sausage. These would be great for a brunch, shower, or tea party. And FYI – You can also make this dish without the eggs if you prefer.
- Would I make this again? Definitely
- Flavor on a scale from one to ten (ten being exceptional!) 9
- Would I do different? Make more. I halved the batch, which I usually do when trying something new as I don’t want to waste food. However, the next time, I will make the entire batch.
I hope you adventure out during the week and try new things. See something interesting at the grocery store or farmers market…buy it and incorporate it into your meals that week. See a new recipe staring at you in a magazine, try it out. Food is a big part of my adventure. Let me know what food adventure you had this week or something you plan to try. Have fun with it!